Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Think About Games... a Lot.

So I'm sitting before a newly-minted blog overthinking the contents of this first post. On one hand, it sets the tone for posts to come, and it makes a critical first impression. On the other, I can think of maybe two times I've read all the way back to the first post of a blog, so it probably isn't that important.

Anyhow, on with the show...

My name is Rob, and I find myself thinking about games a lot each day. I mostly think about role-playing games. Back in my early teen years, I was introduced to RPGs by a cousin of mine during a holiday trip to our grandparents' house. He didn't have any rulebooks along during that trip, so he made up a basic dungeon-crawling game. I played some kind of blue gargoyle with a pitchfork if I remember correctly. My character wandered around some tunnels and killed some monsters. I don't really remember much about it except that it was a lot of fun. Only on a later trip did he show me his Dungeons & Dragons books, and reveal that there was a much bigger game behind the small, simple thing he'd shown me.

I wouldn't have a regular RPG group until I went off to college where I met the friends who I gamed with for six years or so. We mostly played recent editions of D&D or d20 System games, though there were a few attempts (mostly by me) to try out other games here and there. I have lots of fond memories of gaming in college, including 12-hour gaming binges and that spring break during which I stayed at a fellow player's house and we played every single day.

But those days are behind me now. I've moved back to my hometown from where I went to college, and I don't get to play nearly as often as I used to, which is a bummer. This leaves me thinking a lot about games, and happens to neatly bring me back around to my statement of purpose. I love it when that happens.

I've started this blog to share my thoughts on RPGs. Sometimes I'm daydreaming about designing my own game. Other times, I'll have ideas about how to make an existing game behave more to my (and perhaps your) liking. And yes, maybe sometimes I'll just want to tell you about my character. (I beg your pardon in advance.) This is a space for me to empty my mind. When I don't empty it, I tend to fixate on the same idea over and over again without accomplishing much. There's something I find very satisfying about writing my thoughts, but I'm pretty disorganized and rarely think to write or type things out in the heat of the moment. Maybe if I put my thoughts here, and start getting feedback, I'll feel accountable to produce more consistently, which would be great.

My (lofty) goal is to update this blog on Mondays and Thursdays. If I produce something that sparks your interest, by all means leave me a comment. I hope we get an opportunity to add fun and fascination to each others' lives through what goes on here.

So welcome. Thanks for dropping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment